Under Our Clothes - An immersive ASMR experience...

About Director/Facilitator - Lucy Springhall Under Our Clothes is an immersive sensory art experience designed to stimulate ASMR respons...

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

What it feels like for a guy (Daniel)

I've been working with Lucy for over a year now, we've done a couple of variations of a stage play (The Temptations of Adam and Eve) together and also had a long run with a shorter piece for a burlesque club. Also, in the last year, I've had the privelege of being part of Marina Abramvic's residency at the Royal Academy, which I'm sure will remain a highlight for the rest of my life. 

But I must say, Under Our Clothes has the potential to eclipse Imponderabilia for me, regardless of what others think, or what critics may say, I don't know - that's not for me to say, but as a performer they both require a level of stoic concentration which is transportative for a performer, I genuinely feel like I am moved to another plane during the experience. 

Probably the biggest challenge for a male model doing a performance like this is training yourself not to react to certain stimuli, I am specifically talking about getting an erection. When I did Imponderabilia it was made known to us (the male models) that it was a public place and so not appropriate and that the performance could be stopped if it looked like we were getting aroused. This presented a big challenge, and those first few sessions I was so aware of every loose item of clothing, or worse, body parts that were thrust into me, a several times I did feel a stirring begin which I had to overcome. 

Unde Our Clothes has the same potential. When rehearsing, Lucy would always test the water with me, at different points I would feel a new prop coming into contact with my genitals, I had to train myself to focus and not react naturally. Unfortunately it doesn't become any easier! And the first night performing to a group I had several people focus on this area, utilising different props to generate sensations and sound, I could sense there was a curiosity about it, perhaps they expected to see a reaction, I don't know. Luckily, I was able to keep focused and stay soft, but it is still a challenge for me. 

Other than that, I had no real concerns about it, I am aware Paige did, I suppose it is different for a female model in such a situation. I enjoyed the feeling of touch all over me, and the multiple sets of hands at times that worked on my body, it almost felt like a multi-hands massage at times, what's not to enjoy! 

I'm a really looking forward to exploring the piece further, hopefully we can do the 100 performances Lucy is hoping for, that seems a good number, then we can reflect. Imponderabilia will stay with me forever, but I'm fortunate to be doing this so soon after, who knows, I may come to love it even more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment